ALL POSTS - If read in order it's a story.

July 13, 2013

Skype makes monsters of us all.

I threw myself at Leif on Skype.

My latest gig writing "web content" is horrible. It's for a software company and they don't have any documentation yet, so they want to explain the software to me themselves via Skype and have me write it from that. Skype came preinstalled on my Craigslist Mac Air, but I haven't ever used it or felt a desire to. Except with my doll collecting friend Kim; we planned to have our dolls Skype each other sometime. Now I have to get comfortable with Skype by tomorrow morning. 


Leif, my very soon to be ex-husband, is the only person I know who uses Skype. And Leif owes me, BIGTIME. He broke his word to me, 2 words, "I do", and he can never repay that no matter what my lawyer makes him contribute. For promising to stay together for life he can help me.

So here I am looking at Leif and my former home and my dog via Skype. Leif is looking at the part in my hair, because I am not very tall and that's all the camera on my laptop sees. Leif is using my old webcam, so I can actually see him. He's in his underwear. When does it become inappropriate to appear before your ex-wife in your underwear? After the settlement?

What was recently my home is now filled with boxes. Leif gave up storage, because he's no longer responsible for warehousing two people's crap. It’s yet another responsibility he's glad to be rid of.

The part in my hair as seen via Skype (dramatic recreation).







Leif has fished Spikey out from under the bed and is holding him up to the camera. Spike is wiggling which is good; it's a sign of health considering he’s 15. But Spike has no fur below his neck, because Leif couldn't dematt him and the groomers said Spike had to be shaved. I tell him next time they say that, just throw more money at them and they'll dematt him. Leif didn't think of this. His social skills aren't up to this. All they’re up to, as far as I can tell, is drinking with our neighbors. I befriended them, but he's inherited them.

Spikey coughs, something he does because his little doggy windpipe is collapsing. I can't pet him to calm him down, which would work. Leif puts Spikey back down. I put back down Isabel. Leif shows me more Skypey features and we are left with dead air. In the dead air I can't help it; I have to assess whether there's still hope. Does he want me back? Will he ever? I venture, "You don't miss me do you?" He doesn't. I'm not that crushed; it isn't personal. Leif just doesn't miss people.

I inquire completely seriously, "What's wonderful about not having me there?" He says, "I sleep better and it's quiet”.

I ask if when he wins the Retarded Lottery (Special Olympics has their own lottery) and he has 2 homes (1 to keep quiet), will he send for me? I asked him that the last time I saw him and he said he would. But now he says, “I’m not sure, honey”.


"If I knew the secret thing that would make you take me back", I say, "I'd do it". I figure there must be one, since he wants an apology from his mom for favoring his brother before he'll speak to her again. Only it's been 2 years because she doesn't know this.

There might not be an equivalent apology for me. "I have to fall in love with someone else." I conclude. He looks ready to cry but maybe that's just because he has to hurt me. "I guess so", he concedes. I ask how to sign out of Skype, since I've covered all the ground I need to. Wait, there's one more thing. "I love you”, I tell him. He says, with sincerity, "I love you too". I close my laptop to end our Skype session, but realize this might not work and will look lame. So I open my laptop back up and officially sign off.

13 comments:

  1. Sorry... that's brutal. Having to see it all... your dog too. Leif says such mean things to you, I can't believe it.

    Anyway, I have SKYPE and have very little idea how to use it also. Someday someone will ask, so I'm game for trying to learn.... if you haven't figured it out. Good luck with the documentation project. If you can get good at technical documentation, there's a world of boring, tedious... yet potentially well paid work awaiting you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny is I saw them as truthful, not mean.

      What do you suggest I learn to master technical documentation? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. master technical documentation..... well I'd ask them if they have an example of what they are looking for.... that way you will know the level of detail/stupidity you are supposed to write at.
      I'm no expert at documentation.. but most of the time it seems like no one really cares about it, they just need to check a box and say it has been done.


      Delete
    3. Thanks, I guess I'll work on coughing up some samples.

      Delete
  2. It's never appropriate to appear before your ex-wife in your underwear after the settlement - via Skype - or via not. Leaf is a confusing person to me. I remember how forcefully he defended you on "Tales of the Green" blog - Thought the guy was a real mench.

    About Skype. I once pressed the wrong button and a big old screen image of me was staring back. Scared the B-Jesus out of me. So I covered that sneaky lens hole with a bit of tape. No Skype for me

    btw: I may be seeing Lief again soon. Anything you'd like me to pass onto him? a disease, fleas, a well aimed left hook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really the only statement that Rebecca made about me here that I agree with is "I befriended [the neighbors], but he's inherited them". It is undeniable that I lack social skills.

      For the record, I was not in my underwear. I was wearing shorts but no shirt. As you must know, there is no central air in Castle Green. My apartment was quite hot and stuffy that evening. Besides, we still don't have a settlement; so I guess it would still be appropriate for me to appear in my underwear in any case.

      Also for the record, there is no "secret thing". I don't want an apology from my mother. (I find it a bit insulting that Rebecca thinks she has any insight on that topic.) Likewise, at this stage, there is no "secret thing" that Rebecca can say or do to change my mind. Rebecca and I have argued about the issues at great length; she knows what they are. We reached an impasse. There is no point in arguing about them any further. I believe I even said during the Skype call, "I don't want to get into it again" (or something to that effect).

      There are two sides to every breakup. Pasadena Adjacent, if you do see me again, perhaps you will allow me to share my side of story.

      Delete
    2. A disease and fleas require that you have them to pass on, and I like you, so please go with the left hook.

      Regarding Leif's comment - I assume you took my side because I'm the protagonist of my own story and maybe because we're both female, not because you read something awful about Leif.

      I took your threat of violence as emotional support, not a condemnation
      of him, and I appreciated it.

      Delete
    3. Leif,

      It's not my personal insight about you and your mother and brother; you said it verbatim. I did simplify it to tell a story.

      This is a story and I hope clearly from my point of view but regardless I didn't say anything bad about you except for the comment on your social skills.

      I'm making stories out of my life, not a court record. Regardless, what I wrote here read to me like I'm a loser and I'm stuck on you. I saw myself as the monster born of Skyping.

      Delete
    4. I said no such thing about my mother. These days, it is impossible to even have a rational conversation with my mother. She's been brainwashed into thinking that global warming is a hoax, and has similar delusions about our family and its history. It is ugly of you to bring my mom into this in the first place. I see it as a desperate attempt to convince yourself and others that you are yet one more victim of some systematic, cruel behavior on my part.

      You said plenty of bad things about me. You wrote, "Leif just doesn't miss people," implying that I'm cold and inhuman or something. I wrote someone just this past week to tell them that I miss them at the Castle social gatherings. It is true that I don't miss you in particular.

      You wrote, "It’s yet another responsibility he's glad to be rid of." That doesn't cast me in a very good light, does it? It's also a bit hypocritical coming from you, since during our relationship you had no responsibilities that I can think of, other than feeding the dogs. (If you were to substitute the word "burden" for "responsibility", I'd be OK with it.)

      Above all, I was angered by the statement, "Leif owes me, BIGTIME". I supported you for eight years. I was a good husband to you, and a good "father" to the dogs. But now, all of that is invalidated because I broke a two word promise? No matter how dysfunctional our relationship became, you expected I would stick with it forever no matter what?

      I don't owe you anything.

      Delete

  3. Ok everyone - I've got some good news And I've got some bad news.

    The good news is that most people are lazy and don't bother with links.

    The bad news is that Altadena Hiker has chosen to write a story about the intimacies of breaking up - and you two are it (via a link)

    And I'm the goober who walked right into the door. Que Sera, Sera

    See you tomorrow Lief. I'll be nice even if your wearing a hoody and eating Skittles

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves Skype, but refuses to use the video function. Even when we were dating from opposite sides of the world, he refused to try. Now, when he talks to his parents back in the Czech Republic, he just uses Skype like a phone.

    ReplyDelete