ALL POSTS - If read in order it's a story.

July 5, 2013

It's witchcraft.

In my latest attempt to put off unpacking, I strip the wallpaper in my dollhouse. The dolls deserve a brand new start too. My stepfather fished the 1962 Barbie comb and brush set out of my printer so I can print my own wallpaper now, but I want to see what Paper Source has. Without ever going in one I've deemed them expensive and yuppie, but I've noticed there is one close by so it's a reason to get outside with Isabel and explore our neighborhood.

I don't walk on 23rd Ave., the main drag, because Paper Source closes at 8pm and Isabel draws too much attention and would slow us down. I walk on 24th and see a couple small apartment complexes designed to blend with the Victorian houses and then the Victorian houses themselves. Almost every street in my neighborhood is pretty.

"WITCH'S PARKING ONLY. All others will be TOAD"

I take my iPhone out to get a picture of the sign on this garage (see picture above) when a jet of water shoots from some bushes, barely missing me and Isabel. Next, the witch herself steps out. “I'm taking a picture of your garage sign”, I say.

"Isn't it wonderful?", she says, "Would you like one?”

“I don’t even have parking”, I tell her, leaving out that I don't even have a car.

"Oh good", she says, "I've had it 30 years and I don't remember where I got it". When she speaks I detect an English accent and a trace of alcohol. "If your dog would like water there's a bowl in front of my house", she says. I thank her but tell her we've brought our own. I'm going to freak if she offers me or Isabel an apple.

I admire the duck decoy on the curb in front of her house. "Isn't he handsome?", she says, "Have you met the virgins?” I have met virgins. Leif was one when I married him (he married the first girl he slept with), but I say no as I'm pretty sure that's not what she means. She pushes aside some foliage and says, "Here, these virgins". There are 2 bookend-like metal statues of mud flap girls standing in the grass and one is pregnant. "That's before and after", she says.

Mud flap virgins, after and before.

I try to work in that I need to get to Paper Source before it closes. She says, "Oh, I'm going that way". She puts down her hose and starts to walk with me. I detect the alcohol again, but she looks sane in her English bowl cut and gardening apron over summery attire. I can't shake her, so I make conversation. I tell her, in an attempt to be odd enough for her, that I'm going to buy wallpaper for my dollhouse. "My mother had a dollhouse", she says. It's fortunate that she doesn't say she herself now has it or I truly would follow her into her home and disappear.

We walk into a beam of sunlight and she does the ‘bat’ shadow-show thing with her hands, linking her thumbs and spreading out her fingers. "It's an eagle", she says.

"It's a bat ", I tell her.

"But the wings are spread like an eagle's”, she says, "I don't imagine they taste very good". I don't look at her funny. I just don't have a rejoinder besides the obvious ‘tastes like chicken’, and I don't want to make this cliché joke. "Oh don't mind me”, she says, "We English have a funny sense of humor".

We have arrived at 23rd Ave., the busy shopping street, and a toddler immediately fixates on Isabel. My witch companion stops and arranges me and Isabel and the parent and child into various photo ops for the toddler's adoring father. "I'm a little concerned about time", I tell her.

"Oh, and I'm not helping". She veers right, into a tiny food mart that I imagine sells liquor and possibly bat wings. "Goodbye dear", she says as she waves to me and heads in. I'm not sure if I'm glad I shook her or disappointed I didn’t make a new friend. I walk up a couple more alphabet letters, hindered by tattooed folks and more elderly folk in summery attire who want to fawn on Isabel.

Paper Source is still open, but it’s a bust. It is a Mecca for high end scrap-bookers, handmade-card-makers and otherwise comfortably off but bored women. I was one till a couple months ago, though not quite as bored.

I spot in the gifty irrelevant-to-paper section of the shop the dread ‘Boo’, specifically a toy effigy of the Pomeranian staking claim as the cutest dog on Facebook or perhaps the world. Note, his mother is a Facebook employee. Zuckerberg probably makes 30 cents off every Boo doll that sells.

Isabel and I are not friends of Boo, anymore than we are of Bill W., but I see a Boo that’s Isabel’s size and am overwhelmed with temptation. I put both Isabel and stuffed animal Boo on the counter, with the sales person's permission (I ask once she notices what I'm doing), and take this lovely picture with my iPhone 3G. Isabel is the one on the left.

Isabel and Boo, respectively.

13 comments:

  1. Ok I admit I just read all about the Green castle adventures and now feel like I have a bit more insight into you! We have some interesting parallels for sure. I left north Hollywood after shacking up with a heroin junkie, my dad lives in Oregon and even though we aren't close I saw an escape and a chance for a new life, Peetee and I hit the road:)

    You know Peetee would probably love your Isabel:)
    Xxoooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do we arrange their carless playdate? :)

      Delete
  2. Isabel is cuter than Boo, and there's your proof. Although Paper Source was a bust, the walk with a witch was well worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I consider that photo scientific evidence Isabel's cuter.

      Delete
  3. There were a pair of almost albino elderly twin women who lived in Hong Kong and haunted the streets at night. We're talking black dresses and tight white haired buns. Creepiest sight to meet on a late night walk home. I may or may not have run at breakneck speed through the St John's Cathedral parking lot to escape them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sound terrifying. I figured this witch was only scary if I rubbed her the wrong way, so I was super polite. In a horror movie your witches would turn into matching cats and catch up with you.

      Delete
    2. There is a Japanese film called "Wool 100%" that is about two old twins who walk around collecting things from the trash. It is a pretty great movie, maybe it was inspired by the albino pair... they sound neat.

      Delete
  4. " a pair of almost albino elderly twin women who lived in Hong Kong and haunted the streets at night."

    now thats a visual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, turning in the opposite direction was the only option when these two were in sight.

      Delete
  5. She sounds like something out of Raold Dahl, which makes her irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the tipsy witch! I hope your paths cross again.

    Boo is just an average Pom with a haircut... Isabel is special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll just drop this in here... a woman I went to college with. Paulette Goodreau. She's a doll designer who lives in Texas. Here's a web site that did an article on her

    http://www.thebeautifulpeopleproject.com/2012/05/paulette-goodreau.html

    ReplyDelete