ALL POSTS - If read in order it's a story.

June 8, 2013

Edibles.

I asked my mom's realtor where I could find the nearest grocery store. I arrive 2 blocks alphabetically and 3 blocks numerically at Food Front Co-op. This is not a grocery store. This is the 7-11 of Whole Foods. I need trash bags (to put my many packing peanuts in) but trash bags are twelve for $6.99, perhaps because they're compostable.
Two not good looking men (meaning age appropriate but with beards) are in my aisle discussing making one's own witchcraft spells and the money that saves. This strikes me as outright bullshit, why wouldn't you be able to make up your own spell when the whole thing is made up, but honestly this is how I feel about conventional religions too.

After searching their depressing and overpriced aisles, I find gluten-full bread. I don't exactly know what "gluten" is, but it seems desirable because it's so rare here.  I find gluten-full icecream sandwiches and buy them too. Then I buy Martinelli's Expensive Apple Juice, because it's the only juice without "açaí".

Allah is merciful. On my way home I pass a convenience store, with far fewer groceries but far more edible ones. I pass on food, but this will be my new local grocery store. I buy thirty trash bags for 3.99 and check out with the young bearded guy behind the counter. I overflow my own freakin' grocery bag. I have two, but Isabel's in one with her head sticking out though no one's cared or noticed.

Counting and following the alphabet, I make it back to our house. I unpack groceries into my included-in-purchase refrigerator, which needs cleaning. I'd like to nap, since my mattress finally arrived this afternoon, but all my boxes loom over me demanding my attention. Isabel snacks on our new crop of packing peanuts.


2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any, but they have a hell of a lot of burgers for some reason. Maybe to go with the beer.

    ReplyDelete