ALL POSTS - If read in order it's a story.

June 28, 2013

Temperature reading.

It's hilarious. It's 87 degrees outside and they're all acting like it's a major heat wave. I take Isabel outside and except for passing motorists there's nobody out there with us. The bicycles that normally consume my Portland street rain or shine can not be seen today. The playground across the street is silent; the day camp must be keeping the kids in so they don't suffer heatstroke. All I can hear around us is the hum of my neighbors' air conditioners.

My mother told me to open my windows last night then close them as soon as I got up today, trapping the life saving cool. I even set my clock so I wouldn't miss the transition, jeopardizing my and Isabel's lives. Isabel is now playing happily on the grass. I have no heat tolerance at all, but I'm fine in this balmy weather. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 86 degrees. The heat wave continues.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, you're mean, mean, mean. And a braggart. We're tipping the scales at 101 today, and not because we're big-boned. I lived in Portland for awhile as a kid, and way before they added the ia. Give us a tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love your pre "ia" perspective, if you have one! I just find it funny because they're relentlessly outdoorsy, but none of them can hack it.

      Delete
  2. And while everyone coming into my shop freaks out about the heat, I'm just loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you drift here from?

      Delete
    2. A plethora of places. Most recently Idaho, which was a mistake. Living with your parents during your first year of marriage is as unthinkable as it sounds, and even worse when compounded by your sister living next door and turning the backyard into a farm. Before that I lived in the Czech Republic for three years, which came just after a horrifying year as a substitute teacher in Alaska, which followed a year of making sandwiches at a Great Harvest in Salem. Then there were a couple years in Hong Kong, following college in Redding, CA. Okay, maybe that was a bit much to reply to your question, but it does lend credence to titling myself as a Transient Drifter...
      By the way, just read your entire PDX blog, and am definitely intrigued...

      Delete
  3. Now reading your other blog back log. The installation of the sprinklers reminded me of when they installed a fire alarm system in the colonial house turned orphanage that I worked in Hong Kong. The young Chinese guys installing it took forever on the staff floor where we young international girls lived, and slept. Imagine waking up to some creepy guy gazing down at you from a window fifteen feet above your head...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colonial house turned orphanage in Hong Kong is already overwhelmingly fascinating. Anything that happens beyond that is interesting.

      Back to your earlier post, substitute teacing in Alaska sounds terrifying, like working in a penal colony.

      Delete
    2. Not far off on your vision of subbing in AK. There were occasional fist fights and tales of murder to be certain...

      Delete